Taking a day out with a baby can be like an action-adventure movie. Can you find the toy or pacifier quickly when your baby starts to cry? Will you be able to keep your hands free to hold your baby? Will you be able to change diapers inside the car or at the mall?
All these concerns can be solved by using a diaper bag. But some mothers still ask, “Do I need a diaper bag?”
A diaper bag is built with many pockets that are big enough to carry everything the baby needs – milk bottles, diapers, wipes, hand sanitizers, baby food, etc. It comes in different sizes from the size of a school backpack to an adult camping backpack.
It can also come with strong handles or even wheels to make it more convenient and allow the user to pay more attention to the baby.
Some diaper bags now come in very stylish designs. Some come in bright colors, while others come from high-end designers like Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, and Coach. Celebrity moms usually use these kinds of bag, but other mothers prefer a diaper bag with a rugged look.
Do I need a diaper bag? Reasons why you do
Many mothers are switching to diaper bags from a regular purse or backpack. This is for several reasons. However, there are still few who are having second thoughts on buying a diaper bag.
If you are one of them, consider the following reasons why you need the real deal.
- A diaper bag has a lot of pockets, inner and outer, where you can place small items such as keys, wipes, and phone. These are areas where you have easy access to important items. A diaper bag has more pockets than a regular purse.
- Wipe-clean lining. A typical purse does not have this feature. A diaper bag has a wipe-clean lining which you can easily sanitize when something spills or leaks. Since baby essentials like water, infant formula, and other liquids are prone to leaks, this wipe-clean lining is the very reason why a diaper bag is essential and more appropriate than a typical bag.
- Detachable diaper clutch. Most diaper bags come with a detachable diaper clutch that you can easily remove and toss in the stroller without taking the entire bag. It is very functional especially when you’re only being out for short time.
- Long straps. A diaper bag has a long strap that you can put over your shoulders. It allows you to keep your hands free so you can hold your baby more firmly. With it, you can also do other tasks like holding the door or reaching for the wipes.
- A typical diaper bag comes in a bright or soft colored style. But in recent years, they now come in more styles that can actually complement your fashion style. They have become a fashion trend manufactured by high-end designers like Coach and Kate Spade.
- Diaper bags come in several types to suit your style and way of living. It can come in the form of a backpack, tote, or a messenger bag.
What do you need to consider in a diaper bag?
Diaper bags may come in more fashionable styles and you might be overwhelmed. More than style, you should consider the things you need in a diaper bag – how much capacity it has, the kind of handle it has, and the size and weight.
A diaper bag has enough space for baby stuff. For a newborn baby, here are the essential things you can put inside a diaper bag:
- 3-4 diapers
- 1-2 bottles
- Extra cloths
- 1-2 toys
- Formula container
- A blanket for a nursing cover and changing pad
- A bib
A diaper bag is not only for babies but also for moms. It should have enough pockets and space for your things so that you don’t have to carry a separate purse. You can keep your wallet, phone, keys, toiletries, and other essentials in the diaper bag.
Size and weight
Diaper bags come in different sizes and weight; these factors are often overlooked. Choose the size that can accommodate everything you need. It is also worth noting that as your baby grows, they need fewer essentials.
Try to purchase a diaper bag that is not too large, but big enough to carry the essentials you need for both your baby and you.